When Should You See a Foot and Ankle Orthopedic Surgeon?

Tired and achy feet can simply be a result of standing too long. But some foot or ankle issues may be symptoms of more serious problems. How do you know when you need to get medical attention from a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon?

Make an Appoint with a Foot and Ankle Orthopedic Surgeon

Make an appointment with a Foot and Ankle Orthopedic Surgeon if you experience pain with any of the following:

  • Pain that persists for more than 72 hours or that increases with walking
  • Pain after an ankle sprain
  • “Clicking,” “locking” or “catching” in the ankle
  • High-arched feet or at flatfeet that become painful
  • Arthritis in the foot or ankle after an old injury
  • Achilles tendon injury
  • Ankle or foot fracture
  • Deformity of the foot or ankle
  • Curling of one or multiple toes
  • Painless ulcers or blisters on the feet

This patient education campaign is sponsored by the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society. Dr. Dominic Carreira is an active member of the AOFAS.